Located opposite the Bank of England in the City of London architectural historical Nikolaus Pevsner describes the slender five-storey Venetian Gothic building as being “An amazing building for its date” yet “Stiffer and more rectilinear than anything the Venetian Quattrocento produced”.
Built in 1868 while the convention was for the neo-classical, architect George Somers Clarke (1825-1882) designed the General Credit and Discount Company’s new head office in a Venetian Gothic style, no doubt inspired by John Ruskin‘s Stones of Venice. It later became the headquarters of Speyer Brothers Banking House before being taken over by the Overseas Bankers’ Club in the Sixties. But by early this century it had fallen into disuse and disrepair, despite its Grade II* listing. In 2005 the buildings new owner investment company Tigerwater, approached specialist niche developer Marldon with a proposal for conversion to residential use.
These photographs were commissioned by Thames & Hudson / View Pictures for an upcoming book on the architecture of the City of London
View more images of the Former Overseas Bankers’ Club, 7 Lothbury Here
Photography © Quintin Lake, 2010