Half of the sewage of London pases through this building. The pumps used to be driven by massive steam beam engines, no longer visible, these were replaced by electric vertical motors that look like daleks which in term have been augmented by the boring looking white boxes of gadgetry.
The building is the old Abbey Mills Pumping Station (Station A) located in Abbey Lane, London E15, the building is a sewerage pumping station, designed by engineer Joseph Bazalgette, Edmund Cooper, and architect Charles Driver, it was built between 1865 and 1868 after an outbreak of cholera in 1853 and “The Big Stink” of 1858. It was designed in a cruciform plan, with an elaborate Byzantine style, described as The Cathedral of Sewage. The pumps raise the sewage in the London sewerage system between the two Low Level Sewers and the Northern Outfall Sewer, which was built in the 1860s to carry the increasing amount of sewage produced in London away from the centre of the city.