The King Edward Buildings on the west Side of King Edward Street in the City of London, now part of the Bank of America Merrill Lynch London Headquarters, is one of the remaining buildings of the former General Post Office Headquarters the other being The North Range, now named Namura House across the street.
Built 1907-1911 to the designs of Sir Henry Tanner, architect of the Office of Works. An early example of the use of reinforced concrete construction the building has stronger accents as was fashionable in the Edwardian period than The North Range (Now named Namura House) over the road completed two years previously. The facade of the building has various ornamental motifs celebrating King Edward VII from which the street takes its name. King Edward Street was known as Butchers Hall Lane until 1843.
In front of the building is a statue by Onslow Ford of Rowland Hill the postal reformer, with the inscription “HE FOUNDED UNIFORM PENNY POSTAGE 1840”
These photographs were commissioned by Thames & Hudson / View Pictures for an upcoming book on the architecture of the City of London
Photography © Quintin Lake, 2010