The main basin of Gloucester Docks was the original terminus of the ship canal that ran from Sharpness, opened in 1827. The victorian warehouses and mills at Gloucester were mainly built for the storage and processing of imported corn. The old warehouses, were built with thick brick walls, a slate roof and strong wooden floors supported by cast-iron columns. The many small windows were intended more for ventilation than for light and were originally fitted with shutters rather than glass. The corn was stored in sacks that were lifted up to the required floor by manually operated winches in the loft.
In 2014 Gloucester Docks was converted into a film set for “Alice through the Looking Glass” by Tim Burton with the addition of five tall ships. Here’s a clip from the BBC showing how the docks were transformed for the movie.
Photographed as part of The Severn Project a walk from Source to Sea along the river Severn